Monday, May 4, 2009

talk about mental illness

My cousin has a blog designed to talk about mental illness, especially bipolar disorder. She has recently been diagnosed with bipo and she shares her story here. It's really interesting! Her blog is designed to talk openly about mental illness and destroy any misconceptions that people have. You should check it out and read her story. http://halfbeautiful.blogspot.com
She would love some more followers in order to get the word out, so to speak. She has a natural gift for words which makes this a beautifully crafted read. You'll be missing out if you don't check it out!

Some of you may or may not know about my struggle with depression. When Curtis went to Iraq just two months after we got married, I got caught up in a whirlwind of emotions that nearly destroyed me. I learned to suppress them, therefore becoming almost robotic and ultimately depressed. Pretty much the day he got home I got pregnant with Xander. Without a chance to deal with my emotions before being pumped full of hormones, I was doomed for disaster. Instead of all the physical discomforts associated with pregnancy, I got stuck with the mental symptoms. I suffered pre-natal depression throughout my pregnancy. I was so depressed that I stayed in bed a lot. Curtis and I has some pretty messy arguments that resulted in lots of pain on his part. I was a horrible mess and even stopped eating for days at a time. By the end of my pregnancy I began to stabilize as my doctor and I found a correct dosage of antidepressants.

Then the day came when I gave birth to Xander. Anyone who has given birth knows how exhausting a whole day of labor can be and how hormones and emotions run high afterwards. Well, combine that with suddenly going off your antidepressants! I was in the hospital for 2 days (we forgot my meds at home) and since my routine was out of whack because I was hospitalized, we completely forgot about them until the symptoms all came back. I had the worst episode right there in the hospital. The nurses we pretty freaked out. They called in the hospital psychologist. He pretty much admitted me to a mental hospital immediately.

It absolutely broke my heart not to be able to go home with my newborn baby. And the hospital was a horrible place. They take away all your personal belongings (even your shoe laces to keep all the patients from committing suicide.) You have to ask for everything. Even for soap to wash your hands; after which they come out from behind the glass to unlock a giant cabinet to give you the smallest little bottle of hand soap. There were so many other traumatic memories of that place, but I don't want to get into them right now. Basically I spent the weekend there until my medications could stabilize me and I could convince them I was safe to go home. They finally allowed me to go home after I set up an appointment with a counselor "on the other side" and promised to go to counseling.

The counseling worked really well and soon I was able to go completely off my medication. I live a normal life now, however I'll never forget what I learned from this experience. Every time I see myself slipping back into depression, I use the techniques and skills the counselor and my books taught me. I am determined not to go back to that low ever again. I was scared to death that I would when I found out I was pregnant with my second child. However, I lucked out and just got the morning sickness and other physical symptoms instead.

After my experience, I empathize with those suffering mental illness. When it's serious enough, it is possible for chemicals in the brain to imbalance and make it impossible to fix without medication. Mental illness is not just "all in your head" so to speak. It is not like you can just choose to be happy. It can be really messy and unpleasant. I believe everyone knows someone who has mental illness or someone who has dealt with depression at some point in their life. It's more common that people think. What is your story?

13 comments:

  1. This is going to be long! Sorry!

    Wow! What a story..thank you so much for sharing it! I think that talking about mental illnesses (depression and beyond) is really hard for people to talk about.

    I never knew people in my family had it until a few years ago when I was struggling myself postpregnancy. I honestly think it would've saved me a lot of heartache if we would've talked about it.
    After my 2nd baby,Spencer, was born I went through a lifetime of change. My husband graduated from college, we left all of our family and friends and moved halfway across the country and he took a full-time job (very different from being a student!). It was a bit of a shock to say the least and my body and mind didn't really respond positively to it.
    I think a lot of it was hormones, but my new dr. just said it was normal and that I should "get out and meet new people." It wasn't like I was out to get medicine or anything, I just wanted an answer. (BTW, at this point, I didn't know that anyone in my family suffered from depression. I thought I was on my own.)
    I started feeling better and adjusting (but I wasn't really myself). After I started weaning him (a year later)I sort of crashed. I was having irrational thoughts and I knew it wasn't right. I went back to the dr. and she said the EXACT same thing. I was so frustrated, but didn't want to talk about it with anyone..including my hubby!
    I had great friends, but talking to them would be admitting that I wasn't "normal" or the happy Katie...I would cry myself to sleep at night and my husband was none the wiser.
    I prayed and prayed and prayed to be normal and to feel normal and to get over this hump.
    It was after I talked to my brother and got some answers that I started to feel better. Not 100%, but at least I knew I wasn't the only one to go through this.

    It has been 2 years. I am pregnant and due in about 3 weeks. I have had a hard physical pregnancy, but not a mental one. I am sure that it will happen again...so I asked my new dr. about it and he wrote me a prescription to take right after I have our baby. I don't want to stay on it forever, but I want to see if it will work. Like I said above, I don't feel 100% like myself or even 100% happy. So we'll see.
    Hopefully with a little help things will get back to "normal"!
    Again, thanks for writing about this..sorry my post was so LONG!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your story Melissa! It always helps to know you're not alone...
    I've struggled with depression since my senior year in high school, and been on and off meds since then. When I have episodes, I sleep most of the day, let my house fall apart, and yell at anybody who comes within 10 feet. The worst was about two months right after my little guy was born. We were finishing an additional bedroom, and things were high stress, to say the least. I'm sad to say, I'd yell at my little baby, take off to just drive as soon as my husband got home, and not get dressed for days. And that was on meds! It was just something I had to work through with help from people willing to lend an ear, and lots of advice from good doctors. Pretty much, I'll be on meds for the rest of my childbearing years, but I'd much rather that than be the scary mommy I could be otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thank you for sharing! I agree with Katie; it's so hard to talk about. But I believe it needs to be talked about so people realize that it's normal and perfectly acceptable to get help. That's why I love my cousin's blog...another shameless plug...sorry.

    And that sounds just like I was Robyn. Scary mommy, yelling at every thing that comes within 10 feet! Luckily, I've gotten it under control and my kids haven't had to see me like that. But poor Curtis has lived through it all. And meds aren't a bad thing if they help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had pregnancy depression, mild to moderate while working full time. Then I got late-onset post-partum depression. I went on medication and went to counseling. When I went to the bishop to get a referral to go to LDS Family Services, he asked if I was reading my scriptures and praying and I told him, "It's the hardest thing. I'm doing all of that. Every time I have an episode, the scriptures that are supposed to come to my mind DO come, they just don't help me. That's how I know this is a physical problem that is robbing me of my ability to choose to be happy." Cory was a psychology major, so at least he understood and was supportive of meds and counseling, in fact, studies have shown that both together work better than either one alone.

    My depression was coupled with severe anxiety. I never felt like I would hurt my baby, but I felt like I wasn't good enough and that anything that went wrong was a direct result of what I was or wasn't doing. I was also terrified to go for walks (which probably would have helped!) because I was convinced that someone would steal her from me or throw her in the river and I wouldn't be able to save her. I kept the blinds down because I thought someone would break in to hurt her or me or something irrational like that.

    I once was late for a dose of meds on a Sunday and had to take a walk home to cool off and take them and play piano and cry until they kicked in and I could go back to church. I remember the first 3 months of Samantha's life as the lowest, darkest part of my life. I feel so bad that Cory had to live through it, Sam was too young. She also had silent reflux (often misdiagnosed as colic) that was not diagnosed until around the time my depression was diagnosed. I was so scared to get off meds, I had to wean from full dose to half dose to even quarter dose and I chose not to go off them until Samantha weaned from nursing. I have determined that I will take meds when I give birth to my next child (whenever that is) as a preventative measure. Like you, I am determined not to let that monster overtake me again. There was a great article in the Ensign a few years back that I read and just sobbed the whole way through-it was about depression-and thinking "That is EXACTLY the way it was for me."

    I agree with Katie-about wishing I had known about any family history. It turns out that my mom had a version of it, but she's very much of that "we don't talk about it" generation, which is very hard for me.

    Contrary to some beliefs, the depression isn't the biggest reason we've been waiting to have another kid, the biggest reason was this rash, PUPPP, that I developed at 35 weeks. Now THAT made me the most psychotic during pregnancy than anything else and there are no indications that I will or won't get it again or whether if I do if it will be less or worse since the odds for any of those scenarios seem to be the same...

    Anyhow, thanks for sharing your story. I remember being completely ashamed of myself and needing treatment until I GOT the treatment and got through it, and now I am a HUGE advocate of speaking up. I'll write a blog of my own and link to your cousin's when I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing! I had no idea you went through all of that, you have had a lot to deal with so it is totally understandable how it could have all happened. You are a stong amazing mommy, I'm glad you shared your story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meliss! Thank you so much for your shameless plugs. Very appreciated. And thanks for sharing your story. I didn't know the details, but hearing them just gives me new admiration for you. You are a seriously amazing, strong woman. I wish I had known then what I know now so I could've supported you. Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must have been rough Melinda...I can't believe you went back to church that day! You must have been determined not to let it get the best of you. Thanks for talking ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this post, Melissa! I totally agree--we all know someone (if not ourselves) who have suffered from depression and it needs to be talked about more often so that we all know we're not alone--nor is it our fault. I had no idea you suffered so much! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. You're a great mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are amazing! thanks for sharing this.

    awesome job today! i had to keep telling myself... stay with melissa! seriously... good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love you hun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im very happy you are able to share you story and ultimately help people. You have come along way in the last few years!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are by far one of the strongest people i know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa, WOW! I never knew that about you! I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I have so much respect for Curtis now! The fact that he loved your boy and you enough to stick by and help make it work speaks wonders! I'm glad that you're doing better!

    I've been lucky (knock on wood) to not have to go through depression during, or after pregnancy, but it's good to know that technology and research has come so far that when those problems come, they are treatable! I'm glad you're feeling better! Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa! I just found your blog through Melinda's. I thought you had one, but I never was quite sure.
    Anyway, I am so amazed at your story here. I remember those days you suffered while Curtis was away. I wish I had been there for you more.
    I had no idea your pregnancy with Xander was so hard. I have the utmost respect for you going through all that you did. The Lord loves you. The miracle of your recovery, with your family by your side is more than enough proof.

    ReplyDelete