Thursday, September 3, 2009

Book Club: Girl with a Pearl Earring


Tracy Chevalier fictionalizes a story behind this painting. I loved this book! It takes us into the life of a 16-year old girl in the 1600's who must work as a maid to support her family. The story-line was very interesting.

Griet, the young maid, has interesting philosophies about virtuous women. They don't open their mouths in paintings, nor do they let their hair show. Griet changes while working for this Catholic family and finds herself compromising her character. Do you ever find yourself impressionable, doing things because someone else wants you to do them? Griet struggles to find the balance between keeping her values and politely following orders. She hangs on the fence between her work life and her personal life until finally she falls.

"I ran...Only thieves and children run. I reached the center of the square and stopped in the circle of tiles with the eight-pointed star in the middle. Each point indicated a direction I could take...I stood in the circle, turning round and round as I thought. When I made my choice, the choice I knew I had to make, I set my feet carefully along the edge of the point and went the way it told me, walking steadily."

This is a beautiful coming-of-age story as Griet figures out which direction she believes her life must go. There is love, deciet, passion, suspense, hatred and much more. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this elegant novel! I highly recommend Girl with a Pearl Earring.

1 comment:

  1. Hey new book series for you to read..... The Mortal Instruments books. 1 City of Bones, 2 City of Ashes and 3 is City of Glass. If you liked Twilight you are supposed to like these. I have read the 1st and half way through the 2nd. Both have been pretty good.

    ReplyDelete