Friday, June 5, 2009

We are moving...

While we were on vacation in Ohio, we sold our house (just 1 week after putting it on the market). It was amazing that it sold so quickly and I only had to clean and stage the house once! Curtis said, "Aww, I didn't want to SELL our house." "Well why did we bother," I say. We sold our house because we have to move to a different region for Curtis's job.

We have been searching for houses and rental properties over the past week and a half. We found nothing we really liked and nothing that worked out for us until yesterday. Here's the plan: We are going to rent a basement apartment in Pocatello for about a year. With all the money we save, we should be able to make a significant impact on our current debt. Our goal is to be debt-free in 5 years and be ready to settle into our "dream house" for life.

Now about our new living situation: We found a two bedroom apartment in our landlord's basement. Sounds small, dark, and creepy right? Well when we saw it, this place just felt right. It was very clean inside, and not too small considering there are only two bedrooms. The landlord seems like a nice guy and he actually remodels for a living -- hence the nice apartment in his basement. The yard is beautiful too and the backyard is fenced in. We will basically be on vacation for a year -- reaping the benefits of someone else doing repairs and yardwork. We are sad to move away from our friends and life here in Idaho Falls, but excited to see what adventures this move will bring.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a smart move. Like I said on facebook, We'll try to make it pleasan for you. Let me know if we can help move ya in or whatever. :D See ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. so what town is this awesome basement apartment in? i'm all for the renting idea, btw. it's great to be able to call someone else when something goes wrong instead of having to fix it yourself. mike and i have been renting since we got married and probably will for at least another year or two. we're trying to get rid of that pesky debt as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We found out from our tax preparer that (barring any changes in the law) if you do not own a home for 2 or more consecutive years, you can re-qualify as a first time home buyer again! We're hoping on that one since we will be renting when we move to Boise and then for another year wherever Cory has his externship year. And you know, I felt just as clueless about hair myself! I started by paying close attention to little girls at church and whatever I saw them in, I tried to duplicate on Sam the next day (their mom is a sister I visit teach and is the Primary president, I told her that her daughters hair of today is Sam's of tomorrow). Then I read on someone else's blog about the hair style blogs and I have been transformed from clueless to confident. Girls may be moody at times, but I have fallen in love with Samantha so much over the past couple years and her compassion and her gift of discernment to know who needs a friend the most that I am actually hoping that the next child I have is another girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you sold it so QUICKLY. My in-laws had their Idaho Falls home on the market for over a year b4 it sold!
    Renting does have its perks, doesn't it? Good luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete